Your soon-to-be, número uno, favourite dessert ever.
If you’re still deciding what to devour for dessert this festive holiday, then your search has officially ended. Behold, the creamiest, most wonderful-est, frozen nougat that you will never want to stop eating. Your diet ends here.
425grams Caster sugar
150gm Hazelnuts, shelled + roughly crushed with mortar & pestle
6 Egg whites
450ml Fresh cream
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
handful of sliced almonds to garnish
feeds about 7-8, depending how large your cups are
1. Place the cups/plastic rings that you’re using in the freezer. I used disposable plastic wine glasses! They worked out so well!
2. Place a saucepan over a moderate heat, with 150gm of the sugar. Heat until the sugar melts and is a golden caramel in colour. Add hazelnuts, which should be very roughly chopped or crushed, just so you don’t have whole nuts in your desserts. Combine, working quickly- and pour onto a cool baking tray with baking paper. Allow to set while you continue. Place your saucepan in water immediately- the sugar hardens very fast! When this mixture is cool and has set, crush into smaller pieces.
3. Place egg whites and remaining sugar into the bowl of a mixer and whisk until soft peaks are formed. This took a while- use an electric mixer for sure. Add cream of tartar and vanilla.
4. whisk your cream in a separate mixing bowl until soft peaks are formed, add to the egg white mixture slowly. gently fold through- the key word is “gently”!!! then, add the crushed nuts mixture and gently fold through. Fold until JUST combined.
5. Divide the mixture evenly between the cold cups, and smooth over the tops of the mixture with a knife. Gently bang to remove any air bubbles. wrap with cling wrap, and freeze overnight. I made this at about midday and left in the freezer til 8pm, and was perfect and ready to eat.
when about to serve, sprinkle almonds on each. You could do any choice of garnish- keeping in mind the desserts are sweet, so do balance out your flavours. I served this with glasses of champagne- that was good enough for us!